Saturday 24 September 2011

Palais Paradiso

'The Talent Show'


Last wednesday I had an appointment with the organization of the performance art festival Palais Paradiso  which will be held at the 16th of Feb 2012. It will be the fourth edition and just knowing that the number four was involved gave me the strange sensation that this event had my name written all over it. Parking my bike, waiting at reception and meeting Jeldau was so much fun. Walking through the corridors where I'd seen Grace Jones, Lizz Wright, Chaka Khan and Robyn filled me with delight. I've experienced this pop-temple always as an extension of my living room, the building is like no other and with it's distinctive atmosphere get's the best out of performers and crowed. So to be in a position where I would be the one to perform was something beyond my current state of thinking. And that is where the fun kicks in. To do something you never thought possible and then being part of it is what I believe to be the best experience a human can get. So while we drank our coffee and talked about the Pony Performance I felt multiple wheels turning and altering corners in my mind that i'd forgotten. We went through the rooms of the building, evaluating and searching for the right spot both aloud. And when it was time to wrap up I had one burning question in my mind: 'Do you confirm my participation in this performance festival?' She smiled and looked at me as if I had asked her if our tab water in Amsterdam was drinkable. I bet that when she said 'yes' my grin was bigger than that of the Cheshire Cat!